This mouthwatering Caribbean chicken recipe is the perfect thing to feed hungry guests, based on traditional Caribbean cooking with a blend of spices and flavours, this St Lucian recipe is sure to spice up your BBQ.
Recipe: Caribbean Chicken
Either 4 chicken breast fillets halved or 8 skinless chicken thigh
4-6 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal, about ½ inch wide
1 red or orange pepper, roughly chopped into quite large chunks
A dozen or so button mushrooms, halves
4 rings of fresh pineapple cut into chunks
1-2 red chilies, sliced (seed them if you want to reduce the heat)
1 unripe banana (if you can get a plantain, this is better)
¼ pint dry white wine
½ pint chicken stock
Half a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
Dash of Tabasco sauce
Olive oil and butter
Double cream (optional)
1. Place the prepared chicken in a bowl and pour over the juice of about half a lemon. Season with pepper to tast
2. In the coal pot heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a knob of butter until hot and foaming, add the chicken and quickly brown all over. Remove and set aside
3. Add the spring onions, pepper, mushrooms and chilis to the pan and cook for just a few minutes
4. Return the chicken to the pot and add the pineapple and tomatoes, just leave on a low heat while you deal with the banana.
5. Peel the banana and mash in a bowl with a fork. Mix with about a tablespoon of lemon juice (this will stop it going brown whilst cooking). Add this to the pot also and mix in well
6. Add the wine, stock and tabasco, stir well and leave to simmer for a good half hour or so, stirring occasionall
7. This is a really flavoursome sauce: if you want to soften it a little just add a couple of spoons of double cream at the end of the cooking time
8. Service with rice or cous cous
Enjoy your delicious Caribbean Chicken whilst you are on your St Lucia Holiday or entertaining guests at home.